Friday, May 27, 2011

Goals or Desires?


Often the goals we set for ourselves are really desires. When we set up goals for ourselves that are really desires, we very often become frustrated and burned out.

When I first saw that quote I had a light bulb moment. Oh is that why I get so frustrated?

Flashback to when I was little.... all I wanted to do was to marry and be a Mommy. I could imagine dancing around the kitchen with a little munchkin and I wouldn't trade that for any career. Although I didn't realize it at the time, a career could be a goal but being a wife and a mother couldn't be.


So what are the differences between goals and desires?

First of all, goals are something that require the cooperation of only one person. Me. A goal is something that essentially I can carry out by myself. Something like finishing a test. I can study for the test and pass it. In contrast, a desire requires the cooperation of someone else. Without them accomplishing their side of things the desire will not come to pass.

Secondly, goals are something you work towards. You create action steps, you map out your plan, and you accomplish it. Desires, on the other hand, are things that you pray towards. No matter how much you try to make it happen, you can't. It's something that you can seek God for, but you can't make a plan for it to happen.

So what does this boil down to?

Delight thyself also in the LORD; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring [it] to pass.

1 comment:

Samuel said...

Those are some good thoughts..