Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Questioning Schooling

I am not here to answer your questions or to tell you how to act or think. That’s God’s responsibility. I would, however, like to stir up some healthy thought on the topic of schooling your children.

Parenting is not about which option you’ll choose, but about what the right thing is...

Surprisingly, you don’t have three options. It’s not whether you will choose homeschooling, private school, or public school. It’s about will you commit to - as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. And then think about how you and your family will serve the Lord. Stay out of the boxes and stay away from prejudices.
First stay away from the boxes. Primarily these would be homeschool, private school, and public school. Ask yourself for a minute, what would it look like if I, as a godly parent, did all that I was required to do? Throw away the options. They don’t need to have a bearing on your life. Why? Because that’s just how the world has done it. We don’t need to be just like them. We can take the Bible as truth and go from there.
Second, stay away from prejudices. This builds on my last point. We all tend to create prejudices. These are generally based on our past experiences, past hurts, or on social pressures. Don’t rely on these. They are strong pressures. I won’t deny that. But, you still need to rely upon the Word of God and His leading.

Working inspite of your decisions does not mean it’s because of them....

And now that ever important question. What if my children are having an impact in the public school? What if they are ministering to their classmates. Who will do that if all the Christians are removed?
Let’s look for a minute at Jesus’ life and ministry. He didn’t heal every person that needed healing. He didn’t speak to everybody who needed truth. Not only did He do what His Father told Him to do - That was all He did. You see, sometimes we can visualize an impact that God does not intend. I know that this is hard to grasp. And it’s hard for us to lay down that “good work” that we see. But it’s true. Yes, your kids may have an impact there, but is that really what God intends?
You see, God may be blessing you inspite of your disobedience rather than for your obedience.

What Biblical responsibilities must you fulfill?
I don’t claim to have studied up on entirely, or to know fully your responsibilities. But why don’t you start here:
Deuteronomy 6:6-9 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

Questions to ponder....
What boxes and prejudices am I living within?
What are my Biblical responsibilities as a parent?
What will schooling my children look like based on my calling in Christ Jesus?

No comments: