Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Throwing out the Shopping List

About the time I hit 15 "shopping lists" were in. The idea was that if you didn't know what you wanted you would never get him. I had my paper and pen out. What did I want in a spouse? I jotted down some notes about wanting a Mexican who wasn't a firefighter and made enough money to buy me coffee, or something like that. It was a pretty self-centered deal to be honest.
But now I'm not sure I want a shopping list. Here's why:
  1. Shopping Lists ruin trust ~ They encourage you to trust in human reasoning. As though if he makes a certain salary and goes to Church every Sunday, he's the one for you. What happened to trusting God so much that you would say, "This guy looks nothing like what I was expecting, but this is the adventure that God is leading me to"? It seems to me that it would be rather arrogant for me to decide that I know more about this matter than my God does. It would be wise for us to remember that heart is deceitful.
  2. Shopping Lists are self centered ~ They focus on what I want, rather than on what God wants. As a Christian, this is not a liberty that we get to take.
  3. Shopping Lists take your eyes off what is important ~ Singleness is a season of preparation for the future. Whether that be marriage or selfless service to the King. Either way, God is using today to shape you into who you should be, not to critically analyze others.

No comments: